To leave the page quickly, press the escape key.


You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Child protection: report a concern and support

Children and young people have a legal right to protection from harm.

Child abuse is when someone causes (or doesn't prevent) significant harm to a child.  

Find out about different types of abuse.

How to report a concern about a child or young person

You can report a concern that a child or young person may be at risk of harm.

You can do it in different ways.

You can contact:

The police

You can contact the police by calling 101.


Call 999 to report a crime in progress or if a child or young person is in immediate danger.


You can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111. They'll pass your information on to the police.

Your local council

You can contact your local council if you think a child or young person is at risk or is being abused or neglected.

Aberdeen City CouncilAberdeenshire CouncilAngus CouncilArgyll and Bute CouncilClackmannanshire CouncilComhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Dumfries and Galloway CouncilDundee City CouncilEast Ayrshire CouncilEast Dunbartonshire CouncilEast Lothian CouncilEast Renfrewshire CouncilEdinburgh CouncilFalkirk CouncilFife CouncilGlasgow City CouncilThe Highland CouncilInverclyde CouncilMidlothian CouncilMoray CouncilNorth Ayrshire CouncilNorth Lanarkshire CouncilOrkney Islands CouncilPerth & Kinross CouncilRenfrewshire CouncilScottish Borders CouncilShetland CouncilSouth Ayrshire CouncilSouth Lanarkshire CouncilStirling CouncilWest Dunbartonshire CouncilWest Lothian Council

Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) centre

You can report online abuse to the Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) centre

More support and information about child protection


The NSPCC gives information on keeping children safe. They provide a helpline for anyone concerned about a child or young person.


Childline give children and young people access to confidential support and advice. They do it online and by phone or email.  

Children 1st

Children 1st give support to children, young people and families. They give support to children and young people who have suffered abuse and trauma.  

They also provide Parentline. It's a free, confidential helpline for anyone caring for or concerned about a child or young person.

Child Protection Committees Scotland (CPCScotland)

CPCScotland is a national group of childcare professionals who work together to improve the protection of children in Scotland. Their website gives information about supporting families and keeping children safe.

Parent Club

The Scottish Government’s Parent Club gives information about child sexual abuse and exploitation, including online abuse. It also explains how you can report a concern.

Police Scotland

You can get more information about child protection from Police Scotland

Back to top