You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Moving from Personal Independence Payment to Adult Disability Payment

Your benefit will move from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to Social Security Scotland if you:

  • live in Scotland
  • get Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

The moves started in summer 2022 and will continue until 2025.

A new Scottish benefit called Adult Disability Payment is replacing PIP. This is happening as part of Scottish devolution.

Your Adult Disability Payment will be the same amount as your PIP, unless you've notified DWP of a change in your health condition. You'll be paid on the same day and there will be no gap in your payments during the move from PIP to Adult Disability Payment.

You do not need to apply for Adult Disability Payment

DWP and Social Security Scotland will move your benefit for you.

Social Security Scotland will not reassess or review your award during the move.

When the move is happening

Many people have had their benefits moved across already. This process started in summer 2022. It will take until 2025 to move everyone's benefits across.

The date you’re given for the transfer will usually depend on your review date for Personal Independence Payment.

You’ll be fast-tracked if any of the following apply:

  • there’s been a change in your condition since 29 August 2022
  • you’re due a Personal Independence Payment review
  • your Personal Independence Payment award is about to end

You’ll stay with the DWP, for now, if any of the following apply:

  • you returned their renewal form before 29 August 2022
  • you reported a change of circumstances before 29 August 2022

Once everything has been completed with DWP, Social Security Scotland can then move your benefit across. This means that you won’t miss out on any payment or increase that you could be entitled to from DWP.

If you get PIP and live outside the United Kingdom

You'll need to ask DWP to have your benefit moved to Adult Disability Payment if you:

  • live outside the United Kingdom
  • have a genuine and sufficient link to Scotland

A genuine and sufficient link is where you do not live in Scotland, but have a link to Scotland. For example, you or a family member have spent a significant part of your life in Scotland.

If you need support from an independent advocate

You can get independent support, if you need it, as your benefit moves across to Social Security Scotland.

The Independent Advocacy Service is provided by VoiceAbility.

If you need an advocate, you should:

  • contact Social Security Scotland
  • ask them to refer you to VoiceAbility

Contact Social Security Scotland:

  • call free on 0800 182 2222, Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm
  • webchat
  • Text Relay Service on 18001 +0300 244 4000
  • British Sign Language users can go to Contact Scotland BSL

You can also contact VoiceAbility direct:

If you need information in other formats

You can call Social Security Scotland free on 0800 182 2222. Opening hours are Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

If you're a British Sign Language user, you can get in touch with a video call using the Contact Scotland BSL app.

For other options, go to How Social Security Scotland can help.

Find out what to do if you need help contacting Social Security Scotland, or are calling from abroad.

Back to top