You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Apply for or renew your bus pass

To get an older person's bus pass you must be:

  • aged 60+
  • resident in Scotland

You can also get a bus if you have a disability. You can also apply with a disability if you're under 60.

Apply to your local council

Your local council deals with bus pass applications.

You can contact your local council to apply for a bus pass.

How you can apply and how quickly it will take depends on each council.

The process is taking longer due to coronavirus. You should allow at least 4 weeks from applying to get your card.

You can also contact Strathclyde Passenger Transport (SPT) to apply or renew if you live in some areas. It covers Glasgow and the Strathclyde area of the west of Scotland.

Renew and replace a bus pass

You can contact your local council to renew a bus pass. Or to replace one that has been lost, stolen or broken.

Post office

You can apply or renew at the post office in some local council areas.

Not all areas offer this service. You need check this with your post office.

Apply online

You can apply online if you live in one of these council areas:

  • Argyll and Bute
  • Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles)
  • East Dumbartonshire
  • East Renfrewshire
  • Edinburgh City
  • Moray
  • North Lanarkshire
  • Orkney Islands
  • Perth and Kinross
  • West Lothian

Apply for a bus pass online.

You cannot apply online right now if your council area is not on this list.

Other councils will offer online applications in the future.

You cannot renew a bus pass online right now.

Other ways to apply

You can usually apply at:

  • some travel centres
  • some libraries
  • local council office

But many of these are closed right now due to coronavirus.

You need to contact your local council to see if you can apply in these places.

What you need to apply or renew your bus pass

When applying or renewing, you'll need:

  • a recent photo
  • proof of age
  • proof of your current address

Help applying

Your local council deals with bus pass applications.

You need to contact your local council for queries. For example things like:

  • where you can apply or renew your bus pass
  • problems applying
  • when you'll get your bus pass

If you live in the Glasgow and Strathclyde area you can also email SPT on

For problems applying online email National Entitlement Card direct.

Back to top