You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Local housing allowance

If you're renting a home from a private landlord and you're on a low income, you may be able to claim housing benefit.

Housing benefit for private tenants is called Local Housing Allowance (LHA).

LHA can help towards the cost of rent, but it doesn't cover charges for heating, hot water, lighting, laundry or cooking.

How LHA is calculated

The rate of LHA you receive depends on the area you're living in, and the number of rooms you need. This makes sure people living in the same area as you under the same circumstances get the same amount of support.

You can check the LHA rates for the area you live in.

If the amount of LHA you get is less than your total rent, you'll need to either pay the difference yourself or find a new home where the rent is covered by your LHA.

For example, if your rent is £700 a month and you get £500 in LHA, you'll need to pay the other £200 a month.

You can search for LHA rates by postcode or local authority using the Local Housing Allowance Portal.

How to apply

To apply for LHA, contact your local council's housing benefit department.

Aberdeen City CouncilAberdeenshire CouncilAngus CouncilArgyll and Bute CouncilClackmannanshire CouncilComhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Dumfries and Galloway CouncilDundee City CouncilEast Ayrshire CouncilEast Dunbartonshire CouncilEast Lothian CouncilEast Renfrewshire CouncilEdinburgh CouncilFalkirk CouncilFife CouncilGlasgow City CouncilThe Highland CouncilInverclyde CouncilMidlothian CouncilMoray CouncilNorth Ayrshire CouncilNorth Lanarkshire CouncilOrkney Islands CouncilPerth & Kinross CouncilRenfrewshire CouncilScottish Borders CouncilShetland CouncilSouth Ayrshire CouncilSouth Lanarkshire CouncilStirling CouncilWest Dunbartonshire CouncilWest Lothian Council

Your application will be 'means tested', which means the council will check to make sure you aren't able to pay the full rent yourself.

You'll also need to give proof that you have a tenancy agreement, because LHA is only available to people who are renting privately.

LHA is set by Rent Service Scotland.

Back to top