For Social Security Scotland benefits
You can ask Social Security Scotland to look again at what they've decided if either:
- you've had a letter telling you that you're not going to be paid a Social Security Scotland benefit and you think you should
- you think the amount you're going to be paid is wrong
Social Security Scotland benefits include Best Start Grant, Best Start Foods, Funeral Support Payment and Young Carer Grant.
How to ask Social Security Scotland to look again at what they've decided
For Best Start Grant, Young Carer Grant and the Funeral Support Payment there are 2 ways:
- by calling 0800 182 2222 (freephone, 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday)
- by filling in the 'Ask us to look at our decision again' form - you get this form with the letter telling you whether you'll be paid Best Start Grant or the Funeral Support Payment
For Best Start Foods, you can only ask Social Security Scotland to review what they've decided by calling 0800 182 2222.
From the day you're told whether you'll be paid a Social Security Scotland benefit, you have 31 days to ask Social Security Scotland to look again at what they decided. If you want to ask Social Security Scotland after the 31 days have passed, you'll need to let them know the reason why. If you do not provide a reason, Social Security Scotland will refuse your request.
After Social Security Scotland has got your request
Social Security Scotland will contact you to:
- confirm they've got and are able to look at your request
- find out if there's anything else they need from you
From the day of getting your request, Social Security Scotland has 16 working days to make a decision. After these 16 working days have passed, you'll be sent a letter to let you know what they've decided.
For Best Start Grant, Young Carer Grant and the Funeral Support Payment, you have the right to appeal to a Tribunal if:
- you do not agree with what Social Security Scotland decide
- Social Security Scotland tell you it has not been able to look at their decision again within 16 working days
You cannot appeal to a Tribunal for Best Start Foods.
If you need help filling in your form
Call free on 0800 182 2222 if you need help or a new form. You can also get help with your form from groups such as Citizens Advice Scotland.
For any other UK benefits
You can find out more about how to challenge a benefit decision about any other UK benefit on GOV.UK.
This includes things like:
- Universal Credit
- any type of Tax Credits