You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Tenants - private

It's important to make sure your home is fire safe.

If you or your landlord don't take the right steps to protect your home, there's a greater chance a fire could start.

Interlinked alarms

Every home in Scotland must now have interlinked fire alarms. They are alarms that talk to each other - so when one goes off, they all go off.

You can read the full guidance on the website.

Every home will need to have:

  • 1 smoke alarm in the room you spend most of the day, usually your living room
  • 1 smoke alarm in every circulation space on each storey, such as hallways and landings
  • 1 heat alarm in the kitchen

All smoke and heat alarms should be mounted on the ceiling and interlinked.

If you have a carbon-fuelled appliance, like a  boiler, fire, heater or flue you must also have a carbon monoxide detector. This does not need to be linked to the fire alarms.

Private landlords should already have interlinked fire alarms in the properties they let. If your rented property does not have interlinked fire alarms, speak to your landlord. If your landlord fails to comply, you have the right to apply to a tribunal.

Electrical inspections

Electrical problems are one of the most common causes of home fires.

Every landlord in Scotland has to carry out an electrical inspection of all the installations, fixtures, fittings and any appliances that the landlord has provided in a property.

If your tenancy started after 2015, your landlord should have given you a copy of the most recent inspection report before the tenancy started.

Your landlord is responsible for repairing any electrical items they provide as part of the tenancy, but you're responsible for any electrical items you add to your home yourself.

If repairs are needed

If you rent your home from a private landlord, it's your landlord's duty to make sure the home you're renting meets the 'Repairing Standard'.

This is a basic level of repair that all private rented properties must meet.

Some of the Repairing Standard conditions are about fire safety. For example, your landlord has to make sure:

  • the installations for gas, electricity and heating are in a reasonable state of repair and working order
  • any fixtures, fittings or appliances provided by the landlord (like light fittings and household equipment) are in a reasonable state of repair
  • your home is fitted with suitable interlinked fire detection devices – at least 1 smoke alarm in the living room, 1 in every hall and landing and a heat alarm in every kitchen
  • electrical safety inspections are carried out by a qualified electrician at least once every 5 years

Under Gas Safety regulations, gas appliances and flues must be inspected every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

If repairs are needed, you have to report this to your landlord or letting agent.

Getting a fire safety test

If you're worried that your building may not be safe, you can ask your landlord to arrange a fire safety test.

Send them a letter or email with:

  • an explanation why you think your home is unsafe
  • specific information on repairs you think need doing
  • a date you want them to reply to you by
  • your name and address
  • the date

If your landlord won't do an inspection

If you're a private tenant and your landlord won't arrange a fire safety test, contact your local council's environmental health department and explain your situation.

The council will arrange an inspection if they agree your home needs one. If the inspector finds that repairs need to be carried out, your council can force the landlord to carry them out.

If the council refuses to arrange an inspection, you may want to talk to your local MSP. You can find your local MSP and their contact details on the Scottish Parliament website.

Back to top