There are 3 ways you can apply for Best Start Grant and Best Start Foods:
- apply online now
- by calling 0800 182 2222 (freephone, 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday) - if you're a British Sign Language user, you can use the contactSCOTLAND app to contact Social Security Scotland by video relay
- by filling in a paper form
We've changed our phone service
You can still call us between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, but you'll not be able to speak to someone straight away. Instead, you can leave a message and we'll call you back. When we do, it will show as an unknown number.
We'll call you back in:
- 3 working days if your message is about Best Start Grant, Best Start Foods or Young Carer Grant
- 2 working days if your message is about any other benefit
If we do not reach you the first time we call back, we'll try again another 2 times before we stop.
If you haven't heard from us after 3 working days, please call again and leave another message.
If you are calling to apply for a benefit
If you are calling to apply for a benefit, you can leave a message to tell us your name, address and the benefit you want to apply for.
We'll send you an application form in the post. You can return your application form to our freepost address.
If you need help
If you're not able to finish filling in an online or paper form, you can get help to complete it by calling 0800 182 2222.
If you need a large print paper form
You can get a large print paper form by calling 0800 182 2222.
If you do not want to apply in English
By calling 0800 182 2222, you can:
- apply over the phone in any of over 100 languages
- ask for a paper form to be sent to you in any of over 100 languages
Languages you can request include Urdu, Polish, Scottish Gaelic and many of the other languages used in Scotland. You cannot apply online in any language other than English.
Other ways you can get help or advice
You can get face to face advice about Best Start Grant from Citizens Advice Scotland.
You can also go to GOV.UK if you need help to apply for any other UK benefits or payments, such as:
- Universal Credit
- Child Benefit
- any type of tax credits