You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Stop a forced marriage


Call 999 in an emergency.

If you're trying to stop a forced marriage or you need help leaving a marriage you've been forced into, contact either:

Scotland's Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline
0800 027 1234 (24 hour service)
Calls are free and confidential. You don't need to give your name.

The Forced Marriage Unit
020 7008 0151
From overseas: +44 (0)20 7008 0151
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Out of hours: 020 7008 1500 (ask for the Global Response Centre)

A trained professional will give you free advice on what to do next. They will:

  • find you a safe place to stay
  • take you seriously
  • not think of your situation as a 'family matter' or cultural or religious practice
  • give you details of support organisations that can help you, if that's what you want

Forced Marriage Protection Orders

The Scottish Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline can tell you how to ask the court for a Forced Marriage Protection Order.

In an emergency, an order can be made to protect you immediately.

Support organisations and your local council can also make an application on your behalf.

Each order is unique, and is designed to protect you according to your individual circumstances. For example, the court may forbid someone to:

  • take your passport away
  • intimidate you with threats and violence
Back to top