You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Forced marriage abroad

If you think you're about to be taken abroad to get married against your will (or if you know someone at risk) contact Scotland's Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline or the Forced Marriage Unit.

Contact the nearest British embassy if you're already abroad.

How the Forced Marriage Unit can help

The Forced Marriage Unit offers advice to anyone living in the UK, whatever their nationality. It also helps British nationals who are facing forced marriage abroad.

Support includes safety advice, helping victims stop their unwanted partner move to the UK (known as 'reluctant sponsor cases') and rescuing those held against their will abroad.

If they're a British national, the embassy will try to contact the person and help them get back to the UK if that's what they want.

When calling, try and give as many details as you can, for example:

  • where the person has gone
  • when they are due back
  • when you last heard from them
Back to top