You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Applying for or renewing EMA

Education Maintenance Allowances (EMAs) gives financial support to eligible 16 to 19 year olds who want to continue learning.

If you're eligible for an Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA), you need to complete the following every academic year:

  • an EMA application form
  • a learning agreement

To renew your EMA you need to complete a new application form and the learning agreement every year.

The college, education centre or school you go to will be able to give you an application form and help you to complete it.

Coronavirus and EMA payments

Coronavirus (COVID-19) may stop you meeting your agreed attendance requirements if:

  • you're self-isolating
  • you have the virus
  • your learning institution closes

If you are absent for any of these reasons, you'll still continue to get your EMA payments.

Apply or renew now

You need to apply through your council or college, depending on where you're learning:

If you're studying at school or in home education

You can apply or renew with your local council:

Visit Aberdeen City Council Visit Aberdeenshire Council Visit Angus Council Visit Argyll and Bute Council Visit Clackmannanshire Council Visit Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council) Visit Dumfries & Galloway Council Visit Dundee Council Visit East Ayrshire Council Visit East Dunbartonshire Council Visit East Lothian Council Visit East Renfrewshire Council Visit Edinburgh Council Visit Falkirk Council Visit Fife Council Visit Glasgow City Council Visit Highland Council Visit Inverclyde Council Visit Midlothian Council Visit Moray Council Visit North Ayrshire Council Visit North Lanarkshire Council Visit Orkney Islands Council Visit Perth & Kinross Council Visit Renfrewshire Council Visit Scottish Borders Council Visit Shetland Islands Council Visit South Ayrshire Council Visit South Lanarkshire Council Visit Stirling Council Visit West Dunbartonshire Council Visit West Lothian Council

If you're studying at college

You can apply or renew with your college:

Visit Argyll College UHI Visit Ayrshire College Visit Borders College Visit City of Glasgow College Visit Dumfries & Galloway College Visit Dundee and Angus College Visit Edinburgh College Visit Fife College Visit Forth Valley College Visit Glasgow Clyde College Visit Glasgow Kelvin College Visit Inverness College UHI Visit Lews Castle College UHI Visit Moray College UHI Visit Newbattle Abbey College Visit New College Lanarkshire Visit North East Scotland College Visit North Highland College UHI Visit Orkney College UHI Visit Perth College UHI Visit Royal Conservatoire of Scotland Visit Sabhal Mòr Ostaig UHI Visit Scotland's Rural College Visit Shetland College UHI Visit South Lanarkshire College Visit West Highland College UHI Visit West Lothian College

How long does the process take?

It depends if you complete your form properly and the date on which you apply. Your local council or college bursary office will be able to update you on your application progress.

Back to top