You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

If you disagree with a benefit decision

You might want to challenge Social Security Scotland’s decision because you disagree with:

  • the outcome of your benefit application
  • how much you’re being paid
  • when payments should start

If something has changed for you since you applied for any of these benefits, for example, if there have been any changes to your health, you should fill in a change of circumstances form. You do not need to challenge our decision as we’ll review your case when we get your change of circumstances form.

Decisions you can challenge

You can challenge decisions relating to the following Social Security Scotland benefits or payments:

  • Adult Disability Payment
  • Best Start Foods
  • Best Start Grant
  • Carer’s Allowance Supplement (exportability)
  • Carer Support Payment
  • Child Disability Payment
  • Child Winter Heating Payment
  • Funeral Support Payment
  • Job Start Payment
  • Scottish Child Payment
  • Short-term Assistance
  • Winter Heating Payment
  • Young Carer Grant

You can also challenge a decision if Social Security Scotland tell you they’ve paid you too much for any of these benefits and they ask you to pay the money back.

If you disagree with the decision for a benefit that’s not listed above, you should follow the guidance on GOV.UK about how to challenge a benefit decision for UK wide benefits.

Back to top