You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

If you're doing the work

It's up to you to make sure that the work you do is safe and meets Scottish Building Standards.

Making sure you meet Scottish Building Standards

If you want to do any building work yourself, make sure you have the right skills and knowledge to do it.

For minor building work, you can get guidance from technical handbooks. These are published to help you meet Scottish Building Standards. However, it's ikely you'll still need to discuss this with your local council.

If you're not sure you have the right skills or knowledge for doing building work you should get advice from a professional, like a builder or an architect.

Use of materials in building work

You must make sure the material used in your building work still meets Scottish Building Standards.

Technical handbooks explain more about materials that meet Scottish Building Standards.

When you need to talk to your local council

You need to get in contact with your local council before you start building work if any part of the work you're planning involves:

  • alterations
  • extensions
  • conversions
  • demolishing part or the whole of a building
  • building a new home
  • changing the structure of a building

Your local council's Building Services department will be able to tell you whether you need to apply for a Building Warrant before you start the work.

Visit Aberdeen City CouncilVisit Aberdeenshire CouncilVisit Angus CouncilVisit Argyll and Bute CouncilVisit Cairngorms National Park AuthorityVisit Clackmannanshire CouncilVisit Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Visit Dumfries & Galloway CouncilVisit Dundee City CouncilVisit East Ayrshire CouncilVisit East Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit East Lothian CouncilVisit East Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Edinburgh CouncilVisit Falkirk CouncilVisit Fife CouncilVisit Glasgow City CouncilVisit Highland CouncilVisit Inverclyde CouncilVisit Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park AuthorityVisit Midlothian CouncilVisit Moray CouncilVisit North Ayrshire CouncilVisit North Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Orkney Islands CouncilVisit Perth & Kinross CouncilVisit Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Scottish Borders CouncilVisit Shetland Islands CouncilVisit South Ayrshire CouncilVisit South Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Stirling CouncilVisit West Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit West Lothian Council

Find out how to apply for a Building Warrant.

You can be fined and ordered to remove any new building work if you need a Building Warrant and do not get one.

Back to top