You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Getting a building warrant

Before you apply for a building warrant

If the building work you're planning needs a building warrant, you must get one before you start.


It's an offence to start building work without a building warrant. If you do, you could be fined.

If you're not sure whether you need a warrant, ask your local Building Standards department:

Visit Aberdeen City CouncilVisit Aberdeenshire CouncilVisit Angus CouncilVisit Argyll and Bute CouncilVisit Cairngorms National Park AuthorityVisit Clackmannanshire CouncilVisit Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Visit Dumfries & Galloway CouncilVisit Dundee City CouncilVisit East Ayrshire CouncilVisit East Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit East Lothian CouncilVisit East Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Edinburgh CouncilVisit Falkirk CouncilVisit Fife CouncilVisit Glasgow City CouncilVisit Highland CouncilVisit Inverclyde CouncilVisit Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park AuthorityVisit Midlothian CouncilVisit Moray CouncilVisit North Ayrshire CouncilVisit North Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Orkney Islands CouncilVisit Perth & Kinross CouncilVisit Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Scottish Borders CouncilVisit Shetland Islands CouncilVisit South Ayrshire CouncilVisit South Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Stirling CouncilVisit West Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit West Lothian Council

Find out more about Building Standards in Scotland. These building standards set out the rules about doing building work and the need for building warrants.

Read the Building Standards customer journey for an overview of the building standards system for anyone starting building works.

How to apply for a building warrant

You can get an application form for a building warrant from your local council.

We also have model building warrant application forms on You can use these to apply online at

Before you apply, you can find out how to make a good quality application.

What you need to include when you apply

As well as your application form, you will need to pay a fee. You will also need to include your plans with the application.

These plans should tell your local building standards department:

  • the location of the building work
  • what the building work is

You should think about using an Approved Certifier of Design and/or Construction. These are Scottish Government approved scheme providers that can certify to your local council that the building work meets building standards.

Payment of your fee

The fee is based on the value of work you're doing. Minor building work that needs a building warrant will often carry a fee from £100 upwards.

You'll need to check the exact fee with your local Building Standards department.

What happens after you apply

Your local council will assess your application - this can take around 20 working days.

At this stage, your local council's Building Standards department will decide whether it meets Scottish Building Standards or not. If not, it will ask you for more information.

When a building warrant is granted

When your local council grants your building warrant they'll also tell you in writing about:

  • what you need to do next
  • your Construction Compliance and Notification Plan (CCNP)

Your CCNP will tell you when you need to get in touch with your local Building Standards department. It will also tell you when you need inspections at different stages of your work.

Making changes

If you want to make any changes to your designs once they've been approved, you must apply for an amendment to your building warrant.

Back to top