Funeral costs can include:
- funeral director fees
- things the funeral director pays for on your behalf, like crematorium or cemetery fees, or a newspaper announcement about the death
- local council burial or cremation fees
Paying for a funeral
The funeral can be paid for:
- from a financial scheme the person had, like a pre-paid funeral plan or insurance policy
- by you, or other family members or friends
- with money from the person's estate (eg savings)
Check if there is a pre-paid funeral plan, life insurance or savings to cover the costs of the funeral, including whether a lair (burial plot) has already been paid for in a churchyard or cemetery. You could look for papers at home or discuss with other relatives who might know.
Help with funeral costs
You can apply for a Funeral Support Payment to help towards funeral costs.
Find more information on who can apply apply for Funeral Support Payment.
If you do not qualify for a Funeral Support Payment
There are other bereavement benefits available to help you cope with money after a death.