You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Help with title deeds

Title deeds are the legal papers that show if you solely or jointly own any type of building (like a house) or land. Title deeds also:

  • show if there is a mortgage on a building
  • give details of any access or other rights (sometimes known as 'burdens') that come with a building or land
  • show you where the boundaries of any land you own are (there may be a map marking out the plot you own)

How to check your title deeds

If you have a mortgage with a bank or building society you should be able to check your title deeds with them. It's normal for a bank or building society to keep your title deeds until your mortgage is repaid.

If your title deeds aren't with your bank or building society, and you don't know where they are, you can get a copy from Registers of Scotland – you'll need to pay a fee for this.

If you need more advice about what the title deeds say, you can get free advice from Citizens Advice or you can find a solicitor to help.

Changing title deeds

If you want to change your title deeds, you should speak to a solicitor. If you have a mortgage, it's likely your lender will need to agree to any changes in writing before you change your title deeds.

Any joint owners will also need to agree to your changes and, in some cases, other people with an interest (such as neighbours) will also need to agree.

Back to top