How to deal with a crisis overseas

Last updated: 16 February 2018

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office gives information on how to deal with a crisis overseas, such as a natural disaster or a terrorist attack.

Find out:

  • how you can stay informed about foreign travel advice
  • the precautions you should take in case of a crisis overseas
  • what you should do in an overseas crisis
  • what support you can get from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in an overseas crisis

Support when you're home

If you're a victim of crime, Victim Support Scotland can give you practical and emotional support when you get home.

It may also be able to put you in contact with overseas support organisations.

Victim Support Scotland
Telephone: 0345 603 9213
Find out about call charges

You can also get:


You may be able to claim money if you've been a victim of a terrorist attack outside the UK since November 2012.