You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Planning Control Areas for short-term lets

Your local council can make some or all of their region a short-term let 'control area'. This means you need planning permission as a part of your licence to let out your whole accommodation in these areas.

Local councils with control areas

Two councils currently have short-term let control areas in place. They are:

  • The City of Edinburgh Council which has a control area covering the whole council area
  • Highland Council which has a control area covering Badenoch and Strathspey

Local councils without control areas 

If your accommodation is not in a 'control area', and you do not have planning permission, you may still need this to apply for a short-term let licence.

You should check this with the local council planning department.

Back to top