You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Self-build site insurance

If you're building your own home, it's important to make sure your site is fully insured during the build in case something goes wrong.

There are a number of insurance companies who give insurance to self-builders.

It's best to make sure your insurance covers you against theft or vandalism of any materials or equipment on the site during the build process.

If there will be tradespersons or builders working on site, make sure your insurance covers you for public and employer's liability, in case there are any accidents.

Structural warranties

You should look into getting a structural warranty for your house.

This insures your home against structural problems for 10 years after it's built, as long as the insurance provider is happy your house was built to the right standards.

You do not need to have a structural warranty, but some mortgage lenders will make you get one before they agree to loan you a mortgage.

If you want to sell your home within 10 years of building it, having a structural warranty will also make this easier.

Back to top