To leave the page quickly, press the escape key.


You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Report child abuse

Child abuse is when someone causes (or doesn't prevent) significant harm to a child.

The abuse can be physical, emotional or sexual. This includes child sexual exploitation, child trafficking, online abuse and witnessing domestic abuse.

It can happen once or over a period of time, and could happen within and outside the family.

Neglect is also child abuse. This is when a parent or carer doesn't look after a child properly, for example:

  • failing to meet a child's basic needs, such as not providing food, a home or supervision appropriate for the child's age
  • failing to get medical or mental health care
  • failing to educate a child or ignoring their special educational needs
  • failing to provide emotional care

How to report abuse


Call 999 to report a crime in progress or if a child or young person is in immediate danger.

Call the police on 101 if you think a crime has been committed.

You can also contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 to report the crime anonymously. They'll pass the information about the crime to the police.

You can report online abuse to the Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) centre.

Get more information about child protection from Police Scotland.

Report child abuse to your local council

Contact your local council if you think a child or young person is at risk or is being abused or neglected.

Visit Aberdeen City CouncilVisit Aberdeenshire CouncilVisit Angus CouncilVisit Argyll and Bute CouncilVisit Clackmannanshire CouncilVisit Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Visit Dumfries and Galloway CouncilVisit Dundee City CouncilVisit East Ayrshire CouncilVisit East Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit East Lothian CouncilVisit East Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Edinburgh CouncilVisit Falkirk CouncilVisit Fife CouncilVisit Glasgow City CouncilVisit The Highland CouncilVisit Inverclyde CouncilVisit Midlothian CouncilVisit Moray CouncilVisit North Ayrshire CouncilVisit North Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Orkney Islands CouncilVisit Perth & Kinross CouncilVisit Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Scottish Borders CouncilVisit Shetland CouncilVisit South Ayrshire CouncilVisit South Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Stirling CouncilVisit West Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit West Lothian Council

Help and advice

Child sexual exploitation – the signs
This website gives advice and support to young people and parents, including guides to spotting signs of child sexual exploitation.

Phone: 0808 800 5000 
If you're an adult and worried about a child, the NSPCC can give help, advice and support.

Phone: 0800 1111 (24 hour service)
If you're a child or young person, ChildLine will listen to you and help you work out what to do next. You can also chat online.

Children 1st

Children 1st provides support for children and young people who have suffered abuse and trauma. 

Child Protection Committees Scotland

Child Protection Committees Scotland offers advice and support if you're worried about a child. 

Parent Club

Parent Club offers information about child sexual abuse and exploitation, including online abuse and how to report.

ParentLine Scotland
Phone: 0800 028 2233
Monday to Friday, 9am to 10pm
Weekends, 12 noon to 8pm
ParentLine offers support for anyone caring for or worried about a child.

Victim Support Scotland
0800 160 1985 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm)
Gives free and confidential support, and practical help for victims and witnesses of crime. You can also search for victim support in your area for local help and advice.

Back to top