Register as an overseas company

Last updated: 16 June 2017

You must register an overseas company with Companies House if you want to set up a place of business in the UK.

Who must register

You must register if you set up a place of business in the UK or if you usually carry out business from somewhere in the UK.

Some types of company can't register as an overseas company in the UK, including partnerships and unincorporated bodies - contact UK Trade and Investment if you need advice.

How to register

You must fill in form 'OS IN01 - Registration of an overseas company opening a UK establishment' and send it to Companies House within 1 month of opening for business. The address is on the form along with what documents you need to send.

You must send a £20 registration fee with the form. You can pay by cheque or postal order.

Changes to company details

You must tell Companies House within 21 days if your company details change. This includes:

  • name
  • address
  • what the business does
  • details of directors, secretaries or people authorised to represent the company
  • company information, eg accounting requirements or the powers of directors or secretaries
  • company constitution (one of the documents made when you formed the company)

Contact Companies House for help.

Companies House
Telephone: 0303 1234 500
Find out about call charges

Help from Scottish Development International (SDI)

Overseas companies looking to set up business in Scotland, you can get help from SDI. They can provide information about how business works in Scotland and analysis of market opportunities, as well as access to business and academic networks.

Scottish Development International enquiry line
0800 917 9534
Find out about call charges