You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Registering, risk assessing and testing private water supplies

You may need to get your private water supply registered, tested and risk assessed by your local council.

Supplies you must register, risk assess and test

There are rules for private water supplies that:

  • provide water to a business or rental property, including holiday lets
  • supply more than 50 people
  • supply more than 10m3 of water a day

If this applies to your supply, you must:

  • tell your local council so they can register your supply
  • have the council test your supply at least once a year
  • have the council risk assess your supply at least once every 5 years
  • let anyone using your water, like tenants or customers, know it's from a private supply

If your supply is small, or you're the only user, you can still choose to register it and ask for risk assessments and tests.

Renting a property using the supply

Landlords must let tenants know they're using a private water supply. Tenants can ask for risk assessment and test results.

Landlords are responsible for maintaining the supply unless agreed otherwise.

Buying or selling a property using the supply

If you're selling a property with a private supply, you can get the council to test it to prove its safe. Buyers can ask for the proof.

Get your supply registered, risk assessed or tested

Contact your local council to register your supply or to organise risk assessments and testing. They can tell you any costs involved.

Aberdeen City CouncilAberdeenshire CouncilAngus CouncilArgyll and Bute CouncilClackmannanshire CouncilComhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Dumfries and Galloway CouncilDundee City CouncilEast Ayrshire CouncilEast Dunbartonshire CouncilEast Lothian CouncilEast Renfrewshire CouncilEdinburgh CouncilFalkirk CouncilFife CouncilGlasgow City CouncilHighland CouncilInverclyde CouncilMidlothian CouncilMoray CouncilNorth Ayrshire CouncilNorth Lanarkshire CouncilOrkney Islands CouncilPerth & Kinross CouncilRenfrewshire CouncilScottish Borders CouncilSouth Ayrshire CouncilSouth Lanarkshire CouncilShetland CouncilStirling CouncilWest Dunbartonshire CouncilWest Lothian Council
Back to top