Data Protection Officer
What type of information we collect
We collect and process the following information when you visit mygov.scot:
- any feedback you share with us
- your cookies using Google Analytics
- your IP address
- your form details - if you apply for letting agent registration updates or to get a paper disclosure application form
We also use Google Analytics to collect information about:
- which type of browser and device you used
- the pages you visit on mygov.scot
- how long you spend on each mygov.scot page
- how you got to the site
- what you click on while you're visiting the site
Google Analytics data is only collected from users who have consented to share this data. Any information we get about you from Google Analytics will be anonymised before we see it. This means we will not hold any personally identifiable information about you, such as your name or address.
To get information about how the mygov.scot website is used, we also use Simple Analytics. This software collects basic website analytics data. This gives us general insight about our visitors whilst respecting user's privacy.
It lets us see:
- how many times each page has been viewed
- which sites send traffic to mygov.scot
- the percentages of users using each different screen sizes
- the percentages of users using the different types of browser
- the percentages of users from different countries
Information we do not collect
There are webpages on mygov.scot where you can enter personal information. But we do not store or process this information. This includes:
- create a tenancy agreement
- tell your landlord that you want to go the Tribunal
- tell your tenant that they need to leave
- tell your subtenant that they need to leave
- apply to Rent Service Scotland about your rent increase
- create a Rent Notice Increase for your tenant
Once you enter this information, it is immediately 'forgotten' on mygov.scot.
Why we collect this information
We use the information you share with us:
- to improve our services
- give you access to government services
- to identify security threats
Our legal basis for processing this data is 'legitimate interests'. That's because:
- it's in the legitimate interests of our users to make improvements to our website
- we need to maintain the security of mygov.scot
We only collect information about you using Google Analytics if you consent to it.
If you do not consent to it, you can let us know by emailing DataProtectionOfficer@gov.scot.
What we do with this information
We may share your anonymised information with other agencies or public bodies in the Scottish Government. But this will not include personally identifiable information.
We'll only share your data with a third party if we're required to do so by law. For example by court order or to prevent fraud.
We will not:
- sell or give your data to third parties
- share your data with third parties for marketing purposes
How long we keep your information
We will delete any feedback you share with us after 3 years. We keep anonymised analytics for 38 months.
How we store this information
All personal information is stored in the European Economic Area (EEA). Data collected by Google Analytics data may be processed outside the EEA.
We're committed to doing everything we can to keep your data safe. We perform regular security tests to make sure our systems and processes are secure.
Your data protection rights
You have the right to:
- see your information – through a subject access request
- improve your data – if you think the information we have is inaccurate or incomplete
- delete your information – if you do not want us to use your data anymore
- limit what we do with your data – depending on the circumstances
- stop us using your data – depending on the circumstances
- take your data with you – if you want to share it to another organisation, depending on the circumstances
How to complain
If you're unhappy with how we've used your data, you can complain to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO):
Phone: 0303 123 1113
Information Commissioner's Office
Changes to this policy