There is a problem
There were some errors found on this page:
You should only use this notice if your tenant has a 'private residential tenancy'.
If your tenant started renting from you on or after 1 December 2017, they're likely to have a private residential tenancy.
If the tenancy started before 1 December 2017 they don't have a private residential tenancy unless you changed their tenancy to a private residential tenancy on or after 1 December 2017.
How to use this notice
You can fill in your details after pressing 'start'. Once you're finished, you can download a complete Rent Increase Notice that you can give to your tenant.
The law says that you need to give your tenant this notice if you want to increase their rent. If your tenant has a private residential tenancy, you cannot use any other form of notice to tell them about a rent increase. For example, you cannot use a letter.
When you download your finished Rent Increase Notice the download will also include 2 sets of notes. These are:
- Guidance Notes for Landlords - these explain the process of making an increase to your tenant's rent
- Guidance Notes for Tenants - these explain the rent increase process to your tenant and you should pass these notes on to them
You must give your tenant 3 months' notice
It's the law that you must give your tenant at least 3 months' notice before you charge them a higher rent.
If you're giving your tenant this notice by email or post, you'll also need to give them 2 days to get it.
You can give one Rent Increase Notice to 2 or more tenants as long as:
- they have a joint tenancy
- you add all their names to the Rent Increase Notice you give them
If your tenants don't have a joint tenancy you will need to give each tenant their own Rent Increase Notice.
Rent pressure zones
If property you're letting is in a rent pressure zone it means there's a limit on how much you can increase your tenant's rent.
As part of this form we'll check:
- whether the property you're letting is in a rent pressure zone
- how this affects the rent increase you want to make
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback