Appeal a Notice of Rejection

Last updated: 22 June 2018

After the decision

The tribunal will send you a written decision about your appeal.

It will be:

  • appeal allowed
  • appeal refused
  • or case delayed, known as an 'Adjournment Notice'

Appeal allowed

This means you don't need to pay the ticket or your recovery fee may be refunded in car towing cases.

Appeal refused

You'll need to pay the ticket within 28 days of receiving the written decision.

In car towing cases, this means your recovery fee won't be refunded.

If you don't pay within 28 days, the council will:

  • give you a 'Charge Certificate'
  • increase your penalty by 50% and you must pay it within 14 days
If you don't pay the Charge Certificate within 14 days, the council can take legal action to get the money.

Your ticket won't be 'paid' until the council receives the money. If you're paying by post you'll have to think about how long it'll take to arrive.

Case delayed, known as an Adjournment Notice

The decision won't be made until the adjudicator has the extra information asked for.

Can I take any further action?

You can't have a new appeal, but you may be able to:

  • make a complaint to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) about the council
  • ask for a review of the adjudicators decision
  • ask for the decision to be reviewed in a court case called a 'Judical Review'

Complain to the SPSO

If you're not happy with the response you've had from the council you can contact the SPSO. It's the final stage for complaints about councils.

You can contact SPSO via:

  • its website
  • telephone: 0800 377 7330
  • in person: 4 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7NS
  • in writing: FREEPOST EH641, Edinburgh, EH3 0BR

Review of adjucators decision

For example a review of the adjucators decision can take place when:

  • the decision was wrongly made due to an administrative error
  • you had 'good' reason for not attending your hearing or getting someone else to attend for you, e.g you were taken into hospital on the day
  • new evidence became available after the decision which you couldn't have known about

Ask for the decision to be reviewed in a Judicial Review

You need legal advice if you want the decision to be reviewed in a 'Judicial Review'.

A 'Judicial Review' is when a judge considers whether a decision or action made by a public body was lawful. They look at the way a decision has been made, rather than the rights and wrongs of the judgement reached.

If you can't afford to pay a parking ticket or bus lane fine

If you can't afford to pay your parking or bus lane fine, Citizens Advice Scotland can give you advice on money, debt and the law.

Appeal a Notice of Rejection
After the decision