Find a nursery or childcare place

Last updated: 5 January 2021

Find out when and how to apply for a nursery or childcare place in your area through your local council.

Unlike school, your child doesn't legally have to go to nursery or any kind of pre-school.

Funding for nursery places

When your child is aged 3 and 4, you can get 600 hours of free early learning and childcare a year. This is around 16 hours a week in term time.

Children younger than aged 3 may also be able to get funding.

Find out more about help with childcare costs.

Further information

Find out more information about pre-school learning and childcare on the Citizen's Advice website.