You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Interdict against a spouse, civil partner or someone you live with

An interdict is a court order that tells someone not to do something. For example, an interdict can tell a person to stop behaving in a certain way towards their:

  • husband or wife
  • civil partner
  • cohabiting partner
  • child

This includes violent behaviour that causes the spouse or child fear and alarm.

It can also stop them from going within a certain distance of their spouse’s home or workplace, or their child’s school.


This order can stop the person from entering or staying in the family home if an exclusion order is also in place.

Back to top