You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

How to apply for an order

The first step is to get help from a solicitor who has experience in family law. If you cannot afford to pay your own legal costs then you can apply for legal aid to help pay some or all of the costs.


Your solicitor will prepare a document called an initial writ. This document contains:


  • your details
  • the details of the person you want the court to make an order against
  • what order or orders you want
  • why you need these orders


It is useful to have as much evidence as possible. This can include:


  • text messages
  • voicemails
  • a statement from anyone who has witnessed the abuse
  • any medical records such as notes taken by your GP
Back to top