You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Domestic abuse interdict

An interdict is a court order that tells someone not to do something. If you have, or are applying for, an interdict you can ask a court to make this a domestic abuse interdict. The court may do this if the order is to protect you against someone who is, or was:

  • your husband or wife
  • your civil partner
  • living with you as if you were married
  • in a relationship with you


If a power of arrest is attached to a domestic abuse interdict, breaking the terms of the interdict is a criminal offence. You should report this to the police straight away. Someone who breaks the order can be arrested and could go to jail, be given a fine or both.

Back to top