To complete the Job Start Payment form, you’ll need:
- your name, date of birth and address
- your job offer details
- your employer’s details
- your National Insurance number, if you know it
- your bank, credit union or building society account details
- if you have a partner, their name and date of birth
- details of any children you have or care for
If you do not know your National Insurance number, visit GOV.UK to find out what you can do.
If you want to set up a bank account, visit Citizens Advice Scotland’s website for information on how to do this.
If you do not have a bank account and do not wish to set one up, you can be paid Job Start Payment in the same way you’re paid your other benefits. If you want to request this, call Social Security Scotland free on 0800 182 2222. The opening times are Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.
Most people take around 10 minutes to complete the form, but don’t worry if it takes you longer. You’ll not be able to save the form and come back to it later, because it has to be completed all at once.
You cannot apply online if:
- you do not have a permanent address
- you do not have a bank account and have agreed a way for the Department for Work and Pensions to pay you
- you’re applying for someone who cannot manage their own affairs
You'll need to apply by phone or post if any of these apply to you.
Apply by phone
Call Social Security Scotland free on 0800 182 2222 to make your application over the phone. The opening times are Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.
If you’re a British Sign Language user, you can use the contactSCOTLAND app to contact Social Security Scotland by video relay.
Apply by post
You can apply by filling in a paper form.
If you'd like a pre-paid envelope to send documents to Social Security Scotland, call them free on 0800 182 2222 and they'll send you one.
If you need a large print paper form
You can get a large print paper form by calling Social Security Scotland free on 0800 182 2222.
If you do not want to apply in English
Call 0800 182 2222 free to:
- apply over the phone in any of over 100 languages
- ask for a paper form to be sent to you in any of over 100 languages
Languages you can request include Urdu, Polish, Scottish Gaelic and many of the other languages used in Scotland. You cannot apply online in any language other than English.
If you need any help
If you're not able to fill in an online or paper form, you can get help to complete it by calling Social Security Scotland free on 0800 182 2222. The opening times are Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.
You and your data
If you want to know more about how Social Security Scotland uses your data, read the privacy notice.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback