To leave the page quickly, press the escape key.


You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.


If you and your partner are separating and you rent your home, you might decide that:

  • one of you will stay in your home and the other will move out
  • you'll both move out and find new homes
  • you'll carry on living together temporarily as separate households

The person whose name is on the tenancy agreement doesn't have to be the person who stays in the property. You may be able to get the tenancy of the home transferred to the other partner. You should speak to your landlord for advice as soon as possible.

A tenancy agreement (also known as a lease) is the contract between you and your landlord that sets out your rights and responsibilities to live in the property.

Your rights and how you divide your home depend on:

Back to top