You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Who can apply

You can apply to offer a home to someone from Ukraine if:

  • you're over the age of 18
  • you can offer a home for at least 6 months
  • you live, or are based in, the UK - if you need a visa to stay in the UK, your visa must allow you to stay in the UK for at least 6 months

You must also have at least one of these:

  • UK Passport
  • UK-issued photo driving licence
  • Irish-issued photo driving licence
  • Crown Dependency-issued photo driving licence
  • Irish Passport or Passport Card
  • Biometric Residence Permit
  • Biometric Residence Card (issued to non-EEA family members granted leave under the EU settlement scheme)
  • Refugee Travel Document
  • an eVisa 'share code'

Agreeing to checks when you apply

When you apply, you'll need to agree to some checks.

These checks are to make sure that the home you offer is a good match for someone from Ukraine.

The checks are:

  • criminal record and local council checks
  • checks on the home you’re offering

Criminal record and local council checks

You, and anyone over 16 who lives in the home you’re offering, will need to pass a criminal record check called an enhanced disclosure. There’s no charge for an enhanced disclosure. 

Local councils will also check:

  • any social work records you may have
  • child and adult protection registers

We cannot match you with a guest unless you pass these checks. 

Checks on the home you’re offering

Someone from your local council, or a contractor hired by your local council, will need to carry out a check of your home either by:

  • visiting your home
  • carrying out a remote video check of your home

Things they'll need to check include that:

  • gas and electrical supplies and appliances are safe
  • the home's heating system works
  • toilet and bathrooms are in good working order
  • the place is wind and water tight – which means no rising or penetrating damp
  • it has interlinked smoke, heat and carbon monoxide alarms - if there are no interlinked alarms they’ll check there’s a plan to do this, and that there are single smoke, heat and carbon monoxide alarms in the meantime
  • washing and cooking facilities can be used

If the home fails these checks, your local council may be able to help you carry out the work needed to help you pass. 

Checking with your mortgage lender or landord before you apply

You should check with your mortgage lender or landlord that you can allow a guest to live at your home. Not all mortgage or rental agreements allow live-in guests.

If you rent the home you're offering, you'll need a written agreement from your landlord that you can offer your home.

You may also want to check with your insurance provider that guests are fully covered by your home insurance policy.

Checks carried out on your guests

The Home Office carries out identity and security checks on all Ukrainians moving to Scotland. They need to pass these checks to get a visa and to be part of the Homes for Ukraine scheme.

Back to top