You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Legal rights

Know what your rights are if you are evicted or need to access legal aid or health services.

Eviction rights

If you're staying at a local authority site, the site provider can only end your tenancy if:

  • you or a member of your household has breached the terms of your agreement.
  • you've given false information in your application for the pitch
  • you've not used the pitch for 7 weeks in a row and have not told the site provider you will be away

The site provider must give you written notice that they plan to end your tenancy with the reasons why, or have asked a court to do so. You have the right to defend any legal action taken by the site provider against you.

If you want to appeal against a decision to end your tenancy the site provider should have an internal process to do so. They should give you details of this process when they tell you they have decided to end your tenancy.

If you die, the tenancy agreement for the pitch can be passed on to:

  • a spouse or civil partner who is living with you
  • a member of your family who is living with you. If this doesn't apply, the normal laws covering inheritance will apply.

Legal aid

Legal aid may be available to you for advice and support if you have questions about or want to appeal an eviction decision.


The same rules for registering with a GP apply to both members of the travelling community and settled populations. There is no government regulation that a patient must live within a practice area and it is the decision GP to accept or keep a patient who lives outside its area.

You can find your local GP surgery on the NHS24 website.


If you're a Gypsy Traveller and want to make a complaint about the facilities at your local site, the site provider should give you details on how to do so. If not speak to the local authority's Gypsy Traveller Liaison Officer (GTLO).

If you're a resident and you wish to make a complaint about activity at a Gypsy Traveller site or report an unauthorised site this must be done through your local council.

Aberdeen City CouncilAberdeenshire CouncilAngus CouncilArgyll and Bute CouncilClackmannanshire CouncilComhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Dumfries & Galloway CouncilDundee City CouncilEast Ayrshire CouncilEast Dunbartonshire CouncilEast Lothian CouncilEast Renfrewshire CouncilEdinburgh CouncilFalkirk CouncilFife CouncilGlasgow City CouncilHighland CouncilInverclyde CouncilMidlothian CouncilMoray CouncilNorth Ayrshire CouncilNorth Lanarkshire CouncilOrkney Islands CouncilPerth & Kinross CouncilScottish Borders CouncilShetland CouncilSouth Ayrshire CouncilSouth Lanarkshire CouncilStirling CouncilWest Dunbartonshire CouncilWest Lothian Council
Back to top