You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Gypsy Traveller sites

Find your local site

Many local councils (and one Registered Social Landlord) are responsible for providing and running Gypsy Traveller sites in their area. Each site has a number of pitches, or spaces, that members of the travelling community can apply to use. These sites must meet minimum standards as set out by the Scottish Government.

Aberdeen City CouncilAberdeenshire CouncilAngus CouncilArgyll and Bute CouncilClackmannanshire CouncilComhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council) - no sitesDumfries & Galloway CouncilDundee City CouncilEast Ayrshire Council - no authorised sitesEast Dunbartonshire Council – no authorised sitesEast Lothian CouncilEast Renfrewshire Council - no authorised sitesEdinburgh City CouncilFalkirk CouncilFife CouncilGlasgow City Council – no authorised sitesHighland CouncilInverclyde Council - no authorised sitesMidlothian CouncilMoray CouncilNorth Ayrshire CouncilNorth Lanarkshire CouncilOrkney CouncilPerth & Kinross CouncilScottish Borders CouncilShetland Council - no authorised sitesSouth Ayrshire CouncilSouth Lanarkshire CouncilStirling CouncilWest Dunbartonshire CouncilWest Lothian Council – no authorised sites

The site provider must give you:

  • a written tenancy agreement
  • information about how to make a formal complaint about the site provider
  • information on your rights and responsibilities
  • information on how to operate the appliances and systems in the amenity block

If you ask for information on how pitches are allocated it should be made available to you as well.

Housing rights

The Scottish Social Housing Charter says local councils and social landlords that operate Gypsy Traveller sites are responsible for making sure the sites are well maintained and managed.

The Scottish Government has also created core rights and responsibilities for tenants on Gypsy Traveller sites to make sure everyone is treated fairly.

Back to top