You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Who has to pay

You will usually have to pay council tax if you're 18 or over and own or rent a home. If you rent, check your rental agreement to see who is responsible for council tax payments.

Moving home

You need to inform your local council if you move within, or out of an area:

  • If you move to an area, you need to register for council tax
  • When you move out of an area, you need to cancel your council tax account

Empty and unfurnished homes

If your home is empty and unfurnished for six weeks or more, you may be exempt from paying council tax.

Back to top