You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Connecting water, electricity and gas services to a self-build

If you're building a new home, you need to arrange for it to be connected to the standard utility services.

Your plot of land may or may not already have access to:

  • the mains water system
  • the sewage system
  • electricity
  • gas (if needed)
  • broadband internet (if needed)

If the site is not already fully connected to these services, you have to arrange this.

It's worth contacting Scottish Water and the power company you want to use early on, to make sure they can connect you when needed.

You may think you can arrange to have these services connected once you move into your new home, but remember your builders will also need to use the services to build your house.

As a priority, try to arrange to have the water mains drainage and electricity supply connected as soon as possible. The builders will need access to water from the early stages of building, and will need electricity in later stages.

If this is not possible, try to arrange something temporary like an electricity generator, a water standpipe, or permission from neighbours to use their outdoor tap.

If your plot is in a rural area there may be problems connecting you, especially if it's far from other homes or on a hill. Depending on how remotely you're living it might cost you a lot of money to get connected, so check with power companies before you commit to buying a plot.

Back to top