You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Check if you can get government help

There are government schemes to help you stay in your home if you’re at risk of having it repossessed.

Repossession is when your lender takes court action to sell your home to get back the money you owe them. Check what to do if you're at risk of repossession.

Support for Mortgage Interest

If you're a home owner getting certain income related benefits, you could be eligible for the Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) scheme. This is help towards interest payments on:

  • your mortgage
  • loans you've taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home

You can find out how to claim SMI on GOV.UK.

Home Owners' Support Fund

The Scottish Government's Home Owners' Support Fund could help you.

It's made up of two schemes:

  • Mortgage to Shared Equity – the Scottish Government buys a stake in your property so you can reduce any secured loans you have
  • Mortgage to Rent – this allows a social landlord to buy your home, and you'll continue to live there as a tenant

Find out more about the Home Owners' Support Fund.

Back to top