You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Choosing an insurance adviser

You can contact insurance companies directly but you might find it easier to use an insurance adviser.

To find a suitable insurance adviser for your business, you'll need to identify:

  • the risks to your business
  • what type of insurance you need

There are 2 main types of adviser -

1. Insurance brokers

Insurance brokers work on general and commercial risks, such as:

  • motor insurance
  • employers' liability insurance

Some agents only work for a small number of insurance companies. And this means they will only offer you insurance with one of those companies.

2. Independent financial advisers

Independent financial advisers work on people-related risks and business-planning issues, such as:

  • life assurance
  • protection
  • health
  • business continuity
  • pensions and investments
Back to top