Benefit fraud

Last updated: 10 May 2018

Benefit fraud is a serious offence. This happens if someone receiving benefits:

  • intentionally fails to report a change in circumstances
  • gives false information in order to get benefits

Find out more about benefit fraud on GOV.UK, including information on:

  • what happens if you're suspected of fraud
  • what happens after a benefit fraud investigation
  • losing benefits if you're convicted of fraud
  • sanctionable benefits
  • benefits that can't be reduced or stopped
  • exceptions

You can also report benefit fraud.