You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Approved certification

Certification shows that building design, construction or both meet building regulations. It’s only relevant to work that needs a building warrant.

Certified design or construction work is carried out by reputable building professionals and tradespeople. They must be registered in a Scottish Government approved scheme.

It’s optional. There is no requirement to use an approved certifier.

Types of approved certifiers

There are 2 types of approved certifiers.

Approved certifiers for design

They certify that design work they do meets building regulations for:

  • structural work
  • energy efficiency

Approved certifiers for construction

They certify that building work they do meets building regulations for:

  • electrical installation
  • drainage
  • heating
  • plumbing

How to find an approved certifier

Search for an approved body on the Scottish Government Certification Register.

An approved body is a business who employs at least one approved certifier.

You can search by:

  • the type of work
  • your local council
  • the postcode where the work will happen

If you need more information about building regulations

Contact your local council’s building standards office.

Aberdeen City CouncilAberdeenshire CouncilAngus CouncilArgyll and Bute CouncilClackmannanshire CouncilComhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council)Dumfries and Galloway CouncilDundee City CouncilEast Ayrshire CouncilEast Dunbartonshire CouncilEast Lothian CouncilEast Renfrewshire CouncilEdinburgh CouncilFalkirk CouncilFife CouncilGlasgow City CouncilHighland CouncilInverclyde CouncilMidlothian CouncilMoray CouncilNorth Ayrshire CouncilNorth Lanarkshire CouncilOrkney Islands CouncilPerth and Kinross CouncilRenfrewshire CouncilScottish Borders CouncilShetland Islands CouncilSouth Ayrshire CouncilSouth Lanarkshire CouncilStirling CouncilWest Dunbartonshire CouncilWest Lothian Council
Back to top