You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Water and sewerage charges for businesses

New requirements for landlords

If you are a landlord of a business property, then you must tell your Licensed Provider about any change of occupancy in your property. If you don't, you will become liable for part or all of the charges due.

You can contact your Licensed Provider directly or use the Landlord Portal to report changes of occupancy. The Landlord Portal enables all owners/landlords to track the changes easily for all of the properties that they own.

What you pay for

Most businesses in Scotland are metered for water and sewerage charges. Property and roads drainage charges are calculated based on the rateable value of your property. You pay these charges to a Licensed Provider or retailer.

Non-domestic water and sewerage charges are not included in your non-domestic rates bill.

You'll have to pay for any water, sewerage and drainage services your business uses if you are connected to the public network. Since 1 April 2017, vacant properties pay these charges where they are connected to services.

The tariff you pay for your business depends on the Licenced Provider you choose. Find out about available tariffs from Licenced Providers.

Choosing a supplier

Scottish Water is responsible for providing water and sewerage services in Scotland and for maintaining the public system. As a business customer, you can choose your Licensed Provider, for non-domestic water and sewerage services. The Licensed Provider must be licensed by the Water Industry Commission for Scotland (WICS).

Find guidance on Licensed Providers and how to switch.

Complaining about services

If you aren't happy with the water and sewerage services provided to your business, you should first go through Scottish Water's formal complaints procedure.

You can check if there are any emergency or essential works taking place in your area that may affect your water supply or sewerage service.

You can call its customer helpline for free on 0800 077 8778, or email Scottish Water at

If you'd rather write to them, their address is:

Customer Service
Scottish Water
PO Box 8855
EH10 6YQ

Complaining about charges

If you aren't happy with your business water and sewerage charges, you should contact your Licensed Provider.

If you've completed either Scottish Water's or your Licensed Provider's complaints procedure and you aren't happy with the response to your complaint, you should contact the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO).

Back to top