To leave the page quickly, press the escape key.


You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Victim and witness harassment: support

If you're a victim of a crime and you feel you're being harassed or intimidated because you reported the crime, let the police know.

When you reported the crime the police should have given you a crime reference number. Have this number to hand when you contact the police.

If you've reported a crime and someone's been charged

People who have been charged with a crime may be kept in prison until their trial begins, but most are released on bail. They'll be told not to interfere with you or any other witnesses when they're released.

Bail is when a person is released from custody by a court. They'll have to agree to certain conditions before they're released.

If you're worried they might threaten, intimidate or harass you when they're released from prison, you can tell:

  • the police
  • the Procurator Fiscal
  • your solicitor

The Procurator Fiscal can ask the court for special conditions to be added if bail is granted, like:

  • not approaching or contacting you
  • not going to a particular place

If the person does approach or harass you, you must tell the police straight away. They can arrest the person if they're breaking their bail conditions.

If you're giving evidence at court

Intimidation of witnesses is a serious offence. You should tell the police or court officer about any threats you get.

You can also contact your local Witness Service – they'll make arrangements on the day you appear at court like alternative exits and waiting rooms.

Report harassment and get support

Police Scotland
Phone: 999 (in an emergency) or 101 (in a non-emergency)
Find out about call charges

You can also search for your local police station on the Police Scotland website.

Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service
Phone: 0844 561 3000 (from a landline) or 01389 739 557 (from a mobile)

Victim Support Scotland
When you reported the crime, your details may have been passed to Victim Support Scotland (if you gave your permission at the time). Victim Support Scotland can offer you practical and emotional support.
Phone: 0800 160 1985

Back to top