Prepare for university

Last updated: 9 March 2018

Once you've been accepted onto a university course, there are things you'll need to do to prepare.

Know your rights

Make sure you know your rights as a student and what to do if something goes wrong.

You'll find information on the GOV.UK website.

Apply for student funding

Universities charge money for the teaching students get on their university course. These are called 'tuition fees'.

Apply for funding to pay for your university tuition fees.

You can apply for a student loan at the same time to help with living costs.

Depending on your situation, you may be able to get money to help you with the costs of studying.

Find accommodation

If you're moving away from home, make sure you have somewhere to live before you arrive at university. If you're in first year, you may be able to apply for university accommodation. This accommodation is sometimes called 'halls of residence'.

There's information on working out housing costs on the National Union of Students (NUS) website.

Plan for household bills

You'll need to budget for paying bills like gas, electricity, TV and broadband (and childcare if you're a parent).

Council tax

If you're a student and live alone or share the rent with other students, you may be exempt from paying council tax.

If you're a student, but are sharing with someone who is not a student, you may be eligible for council tax reduction.

Students living in halls of residence are exempt from paying council tax.

Manage your finances

Get a student bank account

A student bank account is different from a normal account.

Find out how to open a student bank account.

Find out about student discounts

As a student you can get discounts using your student card, a travel card and an NUS extra card.

Get a student job

You may want to get a part-time job to help with money and gain skills.

Many universities offer 'student employment services' that can help you get a job

There's information about balancing work and study on the UCAS website.

Register for your course

You'll need to register when you arrive at university. This is often called 'matriculating'.

You may also need to sign up to your courses.

Register with a doctor and dentist

If you've moved away from home for college or university you may want to register with a new doctor and dentist.