Carry out work on a traditional property

Last updated: 5 August 2019

If you live in a traditional building (for example, a listed building or one in a conservation area), you might not be able to carry out certain building or repair work.

You may need to apply for consent (permission) to carry out some building work, and you may only be allowed to carry out repairs if you use certain materials.

Visit the Historic Environment Scotland website for advice on:

  • listed building consent
  • conservation area consent
  • suitable materials for repairs
  • failure to maintain a listed building
  • technical advice on conserving traditional buildings