You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Terrorism and national emergencies

Reporting suspected terrorism

If you think you know of terrorist activity being carried out or planned, there are steps you can take.

  • call 999 if there's an immediate threat
  • call the police counter-terrorism hotline, 0800 789 321
  • if there's no immediate threat to life you can also contact the Security Service (MI5) using their online contact form or freephone 0800 111 4645
  • if you've found information, pictures or videos online that promote terrorism, you can report it on the Home Office website

Terrorism threat levels

You can get information on terrorist threats, and current threat levels, from the Security Service's website.


The Security Services are responsible for protecting the UK from terrorism.

The Office for Security and Counter-Terrorism organises the UK government's response to terrorist incidents.

The Scottish Government plays a part in preparing for, preventing and dealing with terrorist acts in Scotland.

Counter-terrorism laws are enforced by Police Scotland.

National emergencies

Your local council also plans for and and deals with emergencies.

Visit Aberdeen City CouncilVisit Aberdeenshire CouncilVisit Angus CouncilVisit Argyll and Bute CouncilVisit Comhairle nan Eilean Sar (Western Isles Council)Visit Clackmannanshire CouncilVisit Dumfries & Galloway CouncilVisit Dundee CouncilVisit East Ayrshire CouncilVisit East Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit East Lothian CouncilVisit East Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Edinburgh CouncilVisit Falkirk CouncilVisit Fife CouncilVisit Glasgow City CouncilVisit Highland CouncilVisit Inverclyde CouncilVisit Midlothian CouncilVisit Moray CouncilVisit North Ayrshire CouncilVisit North Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Orkney Islands CouncilVisit Perth and Kinross CouncilVisit Renfrewshire CouncilVisit Scottish Borders CouncilVisit Shetland Islands CouncilVisit South Ayrshire CouncilVisit South Lanarkshire CouncilVisit Stirling CouncilVisit West Dunbartonshire CouncilVisit West Lothian Council

Help and support

You can find more support for victims of terrorism on GOV.UK.

Back to top