You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Stop being self-employed

You must tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) if you've stopped trading as a sole trader or you're ending or leaving a business partnership. You'll need to send final tax returns and tell employees that you're closing your business.

Check how to stop being self-employed on GOV.UK, including:

  • how to tell HMRC
  • tax returns
  • tax relief
  • VAT registration
Back to top