Review of minerals permissions

Last updated: 20 February 2018

If a planning authority decides that the mining of minerals or the deposit of mineral waste has stopped on a certain site, it can issue a prohibition order.

A prohibition order bans any mineral work on the site, and may order steps to be taken to restore the site.

If the mining of minerals or deposit of mineral waste hasn't stopped but it's having a negative impact on the environment, the planning authority may instead issue a suspension order.

This temporarily bans mining work on the site, and orders steps to be taken to preserve the environment before work can resume.

Before a prohibition or suspension order takes effect, it has to be confirmed by Scottish Ministers. If you get an order, you can ask Scottish Ministers to arrange a hearing so you can discuss or challenge it first.

How to appeal

You have the right to appeal to Scottish Ministers if the planning authority gives you a prohibition or suspension order you don't agree with.

You can also appeal if you don't agree with specific instructions made in the order.

You can appeal online using the Online Appeal and Application System.

Alternatively, you can download a 'Review of old mineral permission' form and submit it to Scottish Ministers by either email or post to the address on the form. You should also send a copy to the planning authority.

The appeals process

Once you make an appeal, the Scottish Government will appoint a reporter to decide the appeal.

The planning authority must give its response to your appeal within 21 days. You will then have a further 14 days to comment on any new information submitted by the authority.

The appeals process has a strict timetable with deadlines for each stage. Make sure everything's sent on time. If you send information after the deadline, it may be sent back to you and won't be considered.

The reporter will consider your submissions along with the authority's response and any representations made by any other party.

If the reporter considers that a decision can be made on the basis of this information and no site inspection is required, they'll aim to issue this decision within 8 weeks of receipt of the appeal.

The reporter may need to get more information in order to reach a decision. If they do, they might need one or all of the following:

  • an inspection of the site
  • further written submissions
  • a hearing session (a structured meeting)
  • an inquiry session (a more formal event similar to a court case)

Inspection of the site

A site inspection allows a reporter to view the site and understand the issues that have been raised.

The reporter decides if a site inspection will be accompanied or unaccompanied. If it's accompanied, the planning authority and person making the appeal will be invited to attend. Anyone else, like those who have made representations about the appeal, will be told about the arrangements and invited to the site inspection.

The reporter can't discuss the merits of the appeal.

If the reporter chooses an unaccompanied visit, they'll inspect the site alone.

If the reporter thinks a decision can be made based on submissions and a site inspection, they'll aim to issue a decision within 12 weeks of receiving the appeal.

Further written submissions

If the reporter needs further written submissions they'll request it from the person they think will be most suitable to provide it.

If this happens the reporter will aim to issue a decision within 20 weeks of receiving the appeal.

Hearing or public local inquiry

The reporter may decide that the information they need would be best presented at a hearing or inquiry session.

The difference between a hearing session and an inquiry session is:

  • a hearing session is a structured discussion led by the reporter
  • an inquiry session is more like a court case – witnesses give evidence in front of the reporter

The reporter will decide if a hearing or inquiry session is required. If it is, they'll aim to issue the decision on the appeal within 26 weeks (if it's a hearing) or 32 weeks (if it's an inquiry session).

Claiming expenses

You can submit a claim for expenses against a person or organisation if you think they have acted unreasonably and caused you unnecessary expense.

The reporter will decide if they have acted unreasonably and any costs that should be paid to cover these expenses.

The expenses claim is separate to the appeal. If you get awarded expenses this doesn't necessarily mean your appeal will be successful too.

If you want to withdraw your appeal

You must contact the Scottish Government if you want to withdraw your appeal.

You can do this any time before the reporter makes a decision.

Email the Scottish Government at or write to them at:

Planning and Environmental Appeals Division
4 The Courtyard
Callendar Business Park

The decision

After taking all the evidence into account, the reporter will either:

  • support the authority's original decision
  • overturn the authority's decision
  • issue a decision (if the authority originally failed to give one)

You'll get a decision notice sent to you once the reporter has made a decision.

This will include the terms of the decision and the reasons for it.

How to challenge a reporter's decision

You can challenge the reporter's decision at the Court of Session.

You can't appeal the decision because you disagree with it, but you can challenge the decision if you think there was important evidence that the reporter misunderstood or didn't take into account.

If you want to challenge a reporter's decision:

  • the appeal to the Court of Session must be submitted within 42 days (6 weeks) of the date of the decision
  • you may have to cover the legal costs and any expenses should the challenge fail
  • anyone with sufficient interest can submit a challenge