You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.


Personal care provided by your local council is free if your local council decides you're elgible. You can get this regardless of age income, capital assets, or marital or civil partner status.

If the care you're assessed as needing doesn't fall into the categories of personal care, you may be charged for it. This may be for things like housework, shopping and making beds.

Charges vary depending on your local council.

Nursing care from the NHS in your own home is free and should be provided by your GP surgery.

If you are 65 or over and need personal and nursing care in a care home, you can receive a payment towards the personal and nursing care part of your fees.

Find out more about free personal and nursing care.

Back to top