You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Challenge a parking ticket

You have the right to challenge a parking ticket you think has been wrongly issued to you.

You might want to challenge your parking ticket because:

  • you didn't own the vehicle when it was wrongly parked
  • the alleged offence didn't happen e.g. the meter hadn't run out
  • the vehicle was parked by someone else without your permission
  • where you parked wasn't signposted as restricted parking

Challenge a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)

To challenge a PCN contact the local council who gave you it. You should do this within 28 days from the date it was issued.

If you make the challenge within 14 days you may only have to pay 50% of the penalty charge if your challenge is rejected.

Not all councils can issue PCNs. The councils that can are in the menu below. If the council you're looking for isn't there, your ticket will be an Excess Charge Notice or a Fixed Penalty Notice.

Aberdeen City CouncilAberdeenshire CouncilAngus CouncilArgyll and Bute CouncilDumfries & Galloway CouncilDundee City CouncilEast Ayrshire CouncilEast Dunbartonshire CouncilEast Lothian CouncilEast Renfrewshire CouncilEdinburgh CouncilFalkirk CouncilFife CouncilGlasgow City CouncilHighland CouncilInverclyde CouncilMidlothian CouncilMoray CouncilNorth Lanarkshire CouncilOrkney Islands CouncilPerth & Kinross CouncilRenfrewshire CouncilScottish Borders CouncilSouth Ayrshire CouncilSouth Lanarkshire CouncilStirling Council

The local council will consider your challenge and will either:

  • accept it and cancel the ticket
  • reject it and send you a 'Notice of Rejection'

A 'Notice of Rejection' will tell you how to pay your fine or how to appeal it with the Transport Appeals Tribunal.


If you don't pay or challenge within 28 days of the Notice of Rejection being issued, you'll get a 'Charge Certificate'. This will increase your penalty - normally by 50%.

Challenge a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN)

Fill out part 3 on the back of your FPN and return it to the address provided within 21 days of the date it was issued.

You may be asked to go to court to challenge your FPN.

Legal advice

Legal advice can help you understand how to challenge an FPN and what will happen if you're asked to go to court.

If you can't afford legal advice, you might be eligible for legal aid. It can help with costs but isn't normally available for driving offences.

Challenge a private parking ticket

If you've been issued with a private parking ticket and you think this is unfair, you can appeal.

Citizens Advice Scotland has information on appealing parking tickets on private land.

Back to top