You appear to be using an unsupported browser, and it may not be able to display this site properly. You may wish to upgrade your browser.

Marriage outside of Scotland

You'll need to do different things if you want to get married:

  • elsewhere in the UK
  • outside of the UK

England, Wales or Northern Ireland

When you want to marry elsewhere in the UK, you need to prove there's no reason you cannot marry. You can get a document called a 'certificate of no impediment' from a Scottish registrar.

Speak to your local registrar to find out how to get this certificate.

Find out more about marrying in:

Outside of the UK

You'll need to follow the rules of the country you're planning to marry in. You can find out information about this from the consulate (a representative of a country) or embassy of the country.

There are lists of consulates in Scotland and embassies in London on the GOV.UK website.

You may wish to get legal advice or speak to Citizens Advice about whether your marriage from overseas will be recognised in Scotland.

Back to top