Letting agent registration

Last updated: 7 November 2017


If you do letting agency work in Scotland you're required by law to:

  • follow a Letting Agent Code of Practice
  • join a Register of Letting Agents

The Register of Letting Agents is a list run by Scottish Ministers. It makes sure every letting agent:

Sign up for updates

You can sign up for updates about the regulation of letting agents. This includes updates on:

  • the opening of the new letting agent register
  • other key changes affecting the private rented sector, like the new private residential tenancy

The register is now accepting applications. You can find out how to apply here. You must have submitted an application by 1 October 2018.

It'll be a criminal offence to do letting agency work if you aren't on the register. If you're convicted, you could face a fine of up to £50,000, up to 6 months imprisonment or both.
Letting agent registration